Tuesday, May 17, 2005

What do you do for a living?

It's interesting to me when people ask personal questions such as "What do you do for a living?"

I realize that it is a way of 'getting to know' someone...but does the fact that what a person does for a living really say much about them? Hmmm...I'm a medical secretary in a psychiatry clinic...what does that say about me, I wonder? I have relatives who are employed as a nurse, publicist, legal secretary, mechanic, homemaker, accountant, trucker, landscaper, ttc conductor, teacher, etc. etc. etc....

It is human nature to want to know about others, especially those closest to us. I stop and think about the job descriptions...some sound very glamourous and exciting...some sound boring...and yet they are all wonderful and necessary in their own way.

Regardless of the employment titles attached to us, there are so many other titles that are attached...mother, sister, father, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle, etc. Sometimes the titles are not so flattering...but we won't go there. Whatever/whoever we are...isn't it wonderful to see the variety of people in our family. Can't call us boring!!!

Whatever!

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

Thanks for the comments. This was by no means a criticism of other's jobs and certainly not a criticism of the fact that we ask the question. It just made me think.

Linda, you are are still greatly contributing to society...don't even think that way! I remember having to send out 22 resumes and getting 1...yes 1 reply back and that was a thanks but no thanks.

So I certainly understand the hardship of finding employment. Don't sell yourself short at all.

Ben