Thursday, May 12, 2005

Radio Station Politics

I'm feeling a bit discombobulated today. I am a radio station channel surfer. (I also surf t.v., and internet...Basically because I'm an inpatient person). One of my favorite radio stations used to be CHFI FM. I loved to listen to Erin Davis and Bob Magee (I even have a CHFI mug, in addition to my EZ Rock mug and a 92.5 country channel mug that no longer exists).

I would occasionally also listen to CHUM FM and Marilyn, Roger and Rick (They always put Marilyn's name last...silly people!). A few years ago, I discovered EZ Rock. Oh finally, I have found what I loved, the music and the morning people, Christine Cardosa (Portuguese) and Mike Cooper. They were a match made in heaven...or so I thought. It became a competition between CHFI and EZ Rock. I flipped more times than a fish caught in the net. The music was similar and they were both good. In the end, nationality won and I stuck with EZ Rock because Christine was Portuguese and I could relate to her comments.

Then the first wave of the radio war began: unexpectedly after many many years at CHFI, Erin Davis was fired. I was livid. I even wrote to the owners, Rogers, telling them that I would no longer listen to CHFI...and I've mostly kept my word. Wrote to Erin and told her how disgusted I was with what happened. (I was one of many many people). Last fall, Erin was invited to join Mike Cooper at EZ Rock while Christine went on maternity leave. I was in heaven. What would have made it the best would have been Mike, Christine and Erin in the morning...(hey it's working for Chum fm) but it was not to be. It seems CHFI finally snagged a brain and wooed Erin back. They also, how I do not know, managed to woo Mike over too. In the meantime, after giving his radio station his required notice, they discovered that Mike and Erin would be at CHFI. So Erin was 'let go' prior to her contract ending. The radio ratings came out yesterday. Apparently, and no surprise to me, Mike and Erin had a huge impact and have managed to raise the ratings considerably for EZ Rock. I have no doubt they will do the same when they are reunited again in the fall at CHFI. What was sad to read was that Mike was shunned at a celebratory event last night. I have never met this man, and I can't say I 'know' him, but he sounds like a decent guy. He has been with his wife, who he apparently adores for many many years, has raised children and certainly did not deserve to be treated this way.

I'm still not sure who I will listen to when the radio war is over...but people should not be treated like lepers (lepers shouldn't be treated badly either) just because they make a career move.

Whatever!



3 comments:

Bernadette said...

Nadia, Where have you NOT worked!!??!!

Andrea Rooz is on the air currently with Mike Cooper. She seems very nice. They were talking about Oreo cookies and Nutella and how yummy that is...

Erin Davis has read my latest blog. She has her own website (blog/journal) and that's how I found out what had happened. I've checked it regularly since she was booted.

Here is what she said in the replay email to me:

Well put, well said.
Thanks for sending it to me, Bernadette.
Erin

(I emailed her with my blog address in case she wanted to read it...she did).

I don't think it's going to be too hard to pick what station I will listen to when Erin and Mike get together. If they have the combination I want then they get my business. So I'll be pulling out my CHFI mug (glad I didn't smash it to smithereens...) and listening to Erin and Mike in the morning (why do they always put the men's names first...silly silly people).

Thanks for you comments everyone!!

Ben

Bernadette said...

Nadia,
When I grow up...can I come and work with you?

Have I ever told you my greatest fantasy...(besides the gorgeous looking man fulfilling my every wish...) No the one about I've always dreamed about a house with a HUGEEEEEEEEE library..you know like the one in My Fair Lady where you actually need a ladder and it may be 2-3 stories tall with all the books in the world?? All the classics, Canterbury tales (don't kill me if I misspell...)Shakespere, (Never liked Of Mice and Men...too sad). Anyways, I would have comfortable chairs and (thanks to Chapters/Indigo) my fantasy has been updated...there would be cappucinos, moccas and expressos...too. Soft music in the background (Kenny G does it for me) and comfy chairs, sipping my cappucino or Perrier and reading my books..surrounded by books...oh it must be what heaven is like....

Back to reality!

Ben

Bernadette said...

Mine aren't as exciting as your's, but here are some (many were temp assignments: TEGH (operating floor/HR/xray), Garfield of Cda (A/P clerk), Burmah-Castrol (oil co...1st job after highschool) mailroom/accounting, East Detention Centre (acct clerk), Toshiba, Pitney-Bowes, LCBO product sampler/marketing (the actually company name I can't remember). Just to name a few!!!
Ben