Friday, July 08, 2005

To adopt or to not adopt...too many questions for me...

Wednesday evening I went to the Toronto Humane Society to see a cat that had been advertised as needing a home. Since Taby's death, Shamu has become, I believe, somewhat lonely and depressed. She just mopes about the apartment. Well she moped before too, but it seems she is moping more. Of course she is 18 years old...18 year old cats mope, sleep, poop, etc...and meow constantly (and extremely irritatingly) for food. So I went to meet Tinker, a 18 year old male cat that had been taken to the THS when his owner had to move into a senior's home. I thought, 18 year old cat with another 18 year old cat might work. Tinker is a strawberry blonde (orange) tabby and in the picture he looked cute. So I thought, I'll go check him out.

Well Tinker turned out to be an 18 year old orange tabby with a very infected eye and arthritic legs. He barely acknowledged me (except to give me a glare out of his good eye effectively telling me to take a hike!). He did not seem to be affectionate or friendly...however he did not growl or hiss at me either...he just ignored me. I felt no chemistry. I was disappointed. On top of that, I was informed by a staff member that I needed to be able to quarantine him from Shamu for at least 14 days. Where? I have a small monette apartment (that means I don't have a 'dining room'). Where the heck do I quarantine a cat with a leaking eye and arthritic legs? My bedroom? I think not!!!

So I've decided to let Shamu live out her remaining years and after that I will reexamine the situation (unless I see a cute kitten and bring it home anyways)...there was this adorable young cat (not kitten) who looked soooooooo much like Taby, but was very friendly and affectionate....

Whatever!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Mama and I wish you luck!!